On this episode of Insight Counseling’s podcast, “Insight Says”, our host Kira Dineen interviews Laura Petiford, a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner at Insight Counseling LLC in Ridgefield, CT about medication’s role in treating mental illness.
Laura began her career in mental health as a Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) prior to becoming a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP). While working with clients, she became aware of the difficulty connecting with prescribers who take a holistic approach to treatment. Through nursing, Laura found a practical, comprehensive and compassionate approach that incorporates medication management into the overall treatment of mental health.
This coupled with her marriage and family therapy education has given Laura a unique foundation and perspective from which she provides treatment. She has worked in a variety of healthcare settings including inpatient, outpatient and community psychiatry. Originally from Missouri, Laura has lived in Paris and has raised two adult daughters. She is most gratified by helping clients discover their own inner resources to redirect their lives in more positive and fulfilling direction.
On This Episode We Discuss
- Types Of Medicines Used To Treat Mental Health Disorders
- The Most Common Medications
- Prevalence Of These Medications
- Appropriate Times To Seek Medication For Treatment
- Traditional Approach To Being Prescribed A Medication
- Time Needed To Take The Find Right Drug & Right Dosage
- Family History’s Role in Prescribing Medications
- Genetic Testing Changing The Prescription Process
- Insight Counseling’s Prescription Process
- Medications Accompanied By Talk Therapy
- Potential Side Effects Of Medications
- Safe Ways To Stop Taking A Medication
Stay tuned for the next new episode of “Insight Says”! New episodes are released every month. See what else we are up to on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn. Questions/inquiries can be sent to [email protected]
Podcast (insight-says-podcast): Play in new window | Download